A teenage snake handler is fighting for his life after being bitten by his new pet – which is one of the most venomous snakes in the world.
Nathan Chetcuti, 19, was bitten by the deadly inland Taipan when it lashed out when he tried to put the snake back into its enclosure at his Brisbane home on Sunday afternoon.
Mr Chetcuti was rushed to Redcliffe Hospital where he is now fighting for his life in the intensive care unit.
The young python breeder has a number of non-venomous snakes and lizards and has posted videos of his large collection online.
It is believed he has been bitten by the reptiles on many occasions but not by one so deadly.
This particular breed is dubbed the “fierce snake” and was being kept as a pet at Mr Chetcuti’s North Lakes home.
The inland taipan’s poison can kill a person in less than 45 minutes but Mr Chetcuti’s father was there at the time of the incident and immediately called the emergency services.
Inland taipans are legal to privately own in Australia, providing the owner has the correct reptile licence.
A Queensland Health Department spokeswoman confirmed Mr Chetcuti remained in a serious condition today.